Coverage D – Additional Living Expenses

Share This Post

Coverage D – Additional Living Expenses


What is Coverage D?

Coverage D, also known as loss of use coverage or additional living expenses insurance, is a part of your homeowners insurance policy that covers additional living expenses that may occur when your home is temporarily uninhabitable. This can happen if your home is damaged by a covered peril, such as a fire, windstorm, or water damage.

Coverage D can help pay for the following expenses:

  • Rent for a temporary place to live
  • The cost of meals
  • Laundry
  • Transportation
  • Storage fees
  • Utilities
  • Other necessary expenses

How much coverage do I need?

The amount of Coverage D you need will depend on your individual circumstances. However, a good rule of thumb is to have coverage for at least 20% of the Coverage A limit on your homeowners insurance policy. This means that if your Coverage A limit is $100,000, you should have Coverage D for at least $20,000.

What is not covered?

Coverage D does not cover all living expenses. For example, it does not cover:

  • Pre-existing medical conditions
  • Expenses that are not reasonable or necessary
  • Expenses that you would have incurred even if your home was not damaged

How do I file a claim for Coverage D?

If your home becomes uninhabitable due to a covered peril, you will need to file a claim with your homeowners insurance company. The process for filing a claim will vary depending on your insurance company. However, you will typically need to provide the following information:

  • A copy of your homeowners insurance policy
  • Proof of the damage to your home
  • Documentation of your additional living expenses



Coverage D is an important part of your homeowners insurance policy. It can help you pay for the additional living expenses that you may incur if your home is temporarily uninhabitable due to a covered peril. If you are not sure how much Coverage D you need, or if you have any questions about the coverage, be sure to talk to your Insurance Agent.

Here are some additional tips for understanding and maximizing Coverage D:

  • Read your homeowners insurance policy carefully to understand the specific terms and conditions of Coverage D.
  • Make sure that you have enough Coverage D to cover your anticipated living expenses.
  • Keep good records of your additional living expenses, such as receipts and cancelled checks.
  • File your claim promptly after your home becomes uninhabitable.

By following these tips, you can ensure that you are properly protected by Coverage D in the event of a covered loss.


Related Blogs

Scroll to Top

Partner With Us

Schedule a Demo